Thursday, January 18, 2007

November 28 Travel to Dombai

The first night I stayed in Naltchik, and the next morning, we set off for Dombai. It took a long time to make to the village. We rented a taxi van and we drove for about 7 hours. Dombai is the most well known Russian ski resort village. I did some reading on what Russian tour guides say about Dombai. Dombai is mountainous country in Karachaevo-Cherkessia (Russian North Caucasus) , in the Kuban river basin. Well known Mountain Elbrus (5642 m) is some 65 km to the East and Black Sea coast 60 km to the West. Now Dombai is a modern recreation and sports center, a mountain climbing, skiing and tourist Mecca of the Great Caucasus.” Modern Mecca? I was going to find out that it was something just shy of that.

Map of my journey to Dombai

I was excited. This was going to be a great trip. I was traveling with my friend Jason and his wife and son Ethan. I met Jason when I helped Athletes in Action on their Caucus Basketball tour during the summer of 2005. This trip to Dombai was the Caucus AIA yearly retreat. Brian, Heidi, and Jamie are on AIA staff in Naltchik. The seven of us were in this adventure together.

No comments: